Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bloody Good


My friends Mom had extra tickets to see a show, so Last night I saw Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street and it really blew me away. I think I would have had a hard time following the plot if I hadn't seen Tim Burton's movie a few months ago. No lie... I had a hard time following the movie. It takes me awhile to get into groove of listening to every Cockney'd word of a song.

I'm no Broadway connoisseur, but it was like nothing I'd ever seen. From beginning to end, all ten characters remained on the stage playing instruments while acting and singing.

This production of Sweeney Todd won the Drama League, Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle Awards for Best Revival of a Musical and was awarded a Special Citation by the New York Drama Critics Circle.

Even though music plays a key part of the story telling in any Broadway show, there's something organic about watching the characters emote themselves through instruments. I had to wrap my head around the fact that the actors had to remember lines, music, songs and choreography without LITERALLY skipping a single beat.

Aside from the strange concept of all the actors staying on the stage throughout the performance, the show was awesome. There was good jokes, interesting use of props and KILLER meat pies. GO SEE IT THIS WEEKEND!!!

No comments: